Re­cog­ni­tion of study achieve­ments from abroad

Learning Agreement

The Learning Agreement is a contract between the home university, the host university and the student regarding the choice of courses and their recognition. It guarantees the recognition of your achievements from studying abroad upon your return to Paderborn University.

The document must be prepared before your stay abroad. Recognition generally takes place in the faculties. There you will also find your contact person for the Learning Agreement. The processes are different in all faculties, so please refer to the homepage of your faculty for detailed information (see below).

Without a Learning Agreement, recognition of credits earned abroad is generally not possible.

  • The Learning Agreement in the Erasmus+ area is an obligatory part of the Erasmus+ scholarship and is already largely sent digitally ( Digital Learning Agreement = DLA).
  • Outside the Erasmus+ program (worldwide and freemovers) you use a PDF document, which is available in our download area.

As the recognition processes in the faculties can usually take many weeks, please start processing as soon as you have gathered the necessary information.
The courses to be selected can be found on the homepage or in the information sent to you by the host university. If the course catalog of your host university is not yet available for the relevant academic year, please refer to previous course catalogs or ask the host university.
Please note: It is possible and normal that you will have to change your chosen courses again after arriving at the host university (e.g. due to overlaps in the study plan). This is not a problem. The Learning Agreement "During the Mobility" (Erasmus+) or the document During the Mobility (Worldwide and Freemover) in the download area are available for any changes.

Recognition websites of the faculties

Conversion of grades

The conversion of grades from abroad is carried out using grade conversion tables. If no table is availiable in your case, the Modifizierte Bayrische Formel will be  used instead. Please contact your faculty for more information on the garde conversion method used.
Any complaints have to be directed to the examination board in charge, notwithstanding other ways to file a complaint may be used.

Diploma Supplement

Together with the certificate, a Diploma Supplement will be issued or digitally made available to all students of the University of Paderborn. A separate application for the Diploma Supplement is not necessary. For further questions regarding the Diploma Supplement please contact the Central Examination Office.