Sie haben Javascript deaktiviert!
Sie haben versucht eine Funktion zu nutzen, die nur mit Javascript möglich ist. Um sämtliche Funktionalitäten unserer Internetseite zu nutzen, aktivieren Sie bitte Javascript in Ihrem Browser.

Info-Icon This content is partly available in English
[Translate to English:] Show image information

[Translate to English:]

Photo: International Office - Gebäude I, 4. Etage

Traveling to Paderborn


Please find out ahead of time if you require a visa to enter Germany.

If you do need a visa to enter Germany, be sure to apply for one early (at least 6 to 8 weeks before your study program) with the letter of acceptance from University of Paderborn at the German embassy in your country. Please note that a travel insurance that is often required to be able to obtain an entry visa to Germany does typically not meet all the requirements of a full German health insurance cover for students. In this case, you will need to take out an additional German public or private insurance once you have arrived in Paderborn (we have insurance companies on campus that can advise further). It is very unlikely that other types of insurances from your home countries will be accepted by the German insurance system. 

Third country nationals who already hold a residence title issued by another Member State for study purposes, do not require a German residence title. However, the International Office needs to inform the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) about your mobility. Please contact the International Office 6-8 weeks before your arrival on this behalf. Information about relevant documents is available on the BAMF Website.

Corona pandemic: Important information regarding entry into Germany is avaible on our website.

Costs of (public) insurances in Germany typically amount to about 80 EUR per month.

In addition, liability insurance is recommended for all students for their stay in Germany.

Please contact Ms. Schrade, if there is a problem or delay with your visa.

Kindly note: students with citizenship in Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, Korea, New Zealand, and the USA can enter Germany without a visa. They must apply for a visa and their residence permit at the department of foreign affairs of the city of Paderborn after their arrival. Please check with your local consulate or embassy before your trip to Germany what kind of documentation and financial proof you might have to bring to apply successfully for your visa once you are in Paderborn. 

Students from countries within the EU do not need a visa. If you are from the EU, please bring your certificate of health insurance or the European Health Insurance Card with you to prove that you are insured sufficiently for the duration of your stay.


By Plane

20 kilometers south of Paderborn is Paderborn Airport, which can be reached by public buses (numbers 400 and 460).

The airports at Dusseldorf, Cologne, Dortmund, and Hanover are approximately two hours away from Paderborn by train. Frankfurt Airport is about 4 hours away.

By Train

From Paderborn main station (Hauptbahnhof) there are direct train connections to Dusseldorf Airport; from other airports you will have to change trains. It is recommended to visit  (the homepage of the German train system, the Deutsche Bahn) to get information on how to reach Paderborn. Your German buddy can help you with that. From the train station you can take bus lines 4, 9, and 68 to the university.

By Car

It is also easy to reach Paderborn by car, because it is located right on highway A33. Leave the highway at the exit “Paderborn Zentrum” and follow the signs to the “Zentrum” (city center) and then to the “Universität” (Attention! Sometimes the signs can be very small and hard to see).

By Bus

Some long-distance coach buses drive through Paderborn. For example, there is a direct connecting from England or Poland to Paderborn, plus bus connections between Paderborn and many German cities, such as Bielefeld, Hannover, and Dortmund (link to MeinFernbus).

The University for the Information Society