Auslands-BAföG for studying abroad

You can apply for Auslands-BAföG (international student credit) for the duration of your stay abroad. Unlike the regular BAföG application, the Studierendenwerk in Paderborn is not responsible for Auslands-BAföG. Instead you will need to submit your application to the international BAföG office responsible for your destination country (e.g. for semesters abroad in Spain:  Studierendenwerk Heidelberg; for semesters abroad in the USA: Studierendenwerk Hamburg). You can find out which office is responsible for your application here

Auslands-BAföG provides financial support for additional costs (e.g. travel expenses, international health insurance etc.) not usually covered by the national BAföG. In some cases it may be possible to claim Auslands-BAföG even if you are not usually entitled to BAföG. Detailed information can be found here.

We will be happy to issue a certificate for the BAföG office confirming your planned semester abroad. You can download this after your nomination from Mobility Online. Feel free to contact us if you need any other forms to be filled in or signed by the International Office,

Good to know: An Erasmus+ grant of up to €300 will not be offset against your BAföG credit entitlement. Please check that the Erasmus+ grant is not deducted from your Auslands-BAföG credit.