Im­port­ant ab­bre­vi­ations and terms

What is a Studium generale? What does PAUL actually stand for? How do I get a Diploma Supplement?

To make it easier for all first-year students to get started at university, we have collected and explained important abbreviations and university-specific terms.

Advanced module (AM )

Advanced modules are teaching units of a degree programme. They are defined in the examination regulations and usually build on the content of basic modules. In some cases, the successful completion of certain basic modules is a prerequisite for taking advanced modules.

Audimax (AM)

The Audimax is the largest lecture theatre at a university: at Paderborn University, the Audimax has 626 seats.

General Students' Committee (AStA)

The General Students' Committee (AStA) is an organ of the student body. It represents the student body, implements the resolutions of the student parliament (StuPa) and deals with the day-to-day administration of the student body. The AStA represents the interests of the student body (e.g. vis-à-vis the Rectorate or the Presidential Board). However, the AStA not only takes on representative tasks, but also helps students as a constant contact for problems.

Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)

The Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) is an academic degree that is awarded to graduates of social sciences, linguistics and cultural studies, for example. It is a first academic degree that qualifies you for a profession.

Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.)

The Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) is an academic degree awarded to graduates of the undergraduate teacher training programme.

Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.)

The Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) is an academic degree awarded to graduates of mathematics, computer science, natural and technical sciences or engineering, for example, but also economics, depending on the specialisation. It is a first academic degree that qualifies you for a profession.

Basic module (BM)

Basic modules are teaching units of a degree programme.

They are defined in the examination regulations and generally serve as introductions to certain subject areas.


A campus is the entire campus of a university. Paderborn University is a "campus university"; this means that most of the university institutions are located in one place (Warburger Str. 100, Paderborn), i.e. they are close to each other or even architecturally connected. This has the great advantage that there are no long "journeys" between the individual courses.

Career Service The Career Service is the central contact for students and graduates for all questions relating to career goals, applications and starting a career. Its services include career-orientation events, practical projects and a job and career portal. The Career Service is thus the interface between studies and career.

Cum tempore (c.t.) / academic quarter

The academic quarter is the quarter of an hour that a course starts later. For example, a lecture that is listed as starting at 4.00 pm c.t. (Latin: cum tempore = "with time") actually starts at 4.15 pm.


Curriculum means syllabus and represents the content structure of a degree programme.

Dean's Office

The Dean's Office manages and coordinates the various tasks and activities of the respective faculty.


The DeliCard is the cashless payment system of the Paderborn Student Union. For a deposit of €5, the Studentenwerk issues payment cards that can be used to make cashless payments at all Studentenwerk institutions. The cards can be topped up at special "top-up machines" at Paderborn University or at the cash desks of the individual institutions.

Dialogue-oriented service procedure (DoSV)

In order to be considered for the allocation of study places in the admission-restricted single-subject Bachelor's degree programmes (at Paderborn University), you must first submit an application in the dialogue-oriented service procedure (DoSV) via the Hochschulstart service platform.

Diploma Supplement

The Diploma Supplement is a certificate that is handed out together with the examination certificate or issued upon request. It contains information about the academic qualification and degree as well as additional information about the programme content, the course of study, the academic and professional qualifications acquired with the degree and the awarding university.


A person who teaches at a university or similar institution is called a lecturer (lat.: docere = to teach).

European Credit Transfer System (ECTS)

The European Credit Transfer System (ECTS ) is a credit point system with which students can acquire credit points in the Bachelor's/Master's system. By using the system, academic achievements are made more comparable both nationally and internationally.

Erasmus (European exchange programme for universities)

The Erasmus programme is a European Union programme for the exchange of students at European universities.


Exmatriculation literally means "call for proposals". Exmatriculation automatically cancels the student status. Students can de-register voluntarily or may be automatically de-registered. There can be various reasons for de-registration, e.g. voluntarily dropping out of a degree programme, finally failing an examination, not properly re-registering for the degree programme, not having an insurance certificate or successfully completing the degree programme.

Student Council (FS)

A student council is an institution of student self-administration and representation of interests at universities.

Subject semester

Subject-relatedsemesters cover the periods of the current degree programme. Semesters already completed at other universities or in other subject areas are not included. Semesters on leave do not count as subject-related semesters, but as university semesters.

University Sports Health Training Centre (GTZ)

The GTZ is Paderborn University's fitness centre where students can train for a small monthly fee.


A habilitation follows a doctorate and is the highest university examination in Germany. By writing a habilitation thesis as part of an academic examination procedure, the ability to teach in an academic subject area is established. Upon application, a teaching authorisation can also be issued, which allows the use of the title "Privatdozent*in".

University semesters

Universitysemesters include all semesters in which students are enrolled at a university. If you change degree programmes within a university, the university semesters continue to be counted; they are not tied to a specific subject area. However, the number of subject semesters then starts again at 1. Semesters on leave are also counted as university semesters.

University Sport (HSP) Paderborn University 's University Sports Centre offers students various opportunities for sporting activities.


Enrolment means "enrolment". Anyone who applies to a university and receives a place can be enrolled and thus becomes a student at the university.

International Office (IO)

The International Office is an institution of the university. The main task of the International Office is to advise and support students who come from abroad and would like to study at Paderborn University as well as Paderborn students who are planning a semester abroad.


A colloquium is a discussion or conversation and is generally understood as an academic discussion / exchange of ideas.

Credit points (LP or CP)

The credit points are the points with which the student's workload is measured. They are intended to reflect the amount of work in hours that students spend on average on a module of the degree programme. One LP/CP (the abbreviation) corresponds to approximately 30 hours of work. For the Bachelor's degree at Paderborn University, students must collect 180.

Course (LV)

The term course covers all teaching units of a university degree programme. There are different types of courses, which differ, among other things, in who teaches the subject matter or how the subject matter is taught (e.g. lectures, seminars, exercises, tutorials, etc.).

Master of Arts (M.A.)

The Master of Arts (M.A.) is the academic degree awarded to graduates of a Master's degree programme in social sciences, linguistics and cultural studies.

Master of Education (M.Ed.)

The Master of Education is the academic degree awarded to graduates of a postgraduate Master's degree programme for the teaching profession. Successful completion of the Master of Education is a prerequisite for entry into the state preparatory service (traineeship).

Master of Science (M.Sc.)

The Master of Science is the academic degree awarded to graduates of mathematics, computer science, natural and technical sciences or engineering, but also economics, depending on the specialisation.


Mensa (lat. table) is the canteen in a university. Students and employees of the university can eat meals here at discounted prices.


MINT is an umbrella term for subjects in the fields of mathematics, computer science, natural sciencesand technology.


A module is a teaching unit consisting of several courses on a common sub-area of a subject. Each component of a module - including oral or written "final module examinations" - is weighted with credit points (according to the European Credit Transfer System) in accordance with the time required for participation.

Compensation for disadvantages

Due to a health impairment (physical disability, chronic/mental illness), special situations may arise in the course of a degree programme and during examinations. For example, attendance requirements must be met and internships or stays abroad must be completed during the degree programme. Students with disabilities are often unable to do this in the prescribed manner or in the prescribed time. Compensation for disadvantages compensates for individual and situation-related disadvantages in the degree programme.

Nomen nominandum or nomen nescio (N.N.)

Nomen nominandum (Latin: name to be given) or nomen nescio (Latin: name unknown), abbreviated to "N.N.", is the name given to a course for which no teacher has yet been appointed

Numerus clausus (NC)

Numerus clausus (lat.: number closed) refers to degree programmes with restricted admission (abbreviated: NC). An admission restriction can be set for degree programmes or subjects if the possible number of applicants could exceed the number of available study places and thus a proper course of study can no longer be guaranteed. This means that not all applicants may be admitted to a degree programme.

Orientation phase for first-semester students (O phase)

During the O-Phase (or O-Week), first-semester students at Paderborn University receive important information about their degree programme and the organisation of their studies. The O-Phase is always in the week BEFORE the start of lectures and should definitely be used.


PAUL (Paderborn Assistance System for University and Teaching) is the self-administration system for students at Paderborn University. This is where prospective students apply for a study place and students manage their studies. PAUL is used, for example, to select courses and register for examinations. Lecturers can also write to specific participants in their courses and provide information on lectures and seminars.

(Paderborn Assistance System for Messages, Documents and Exchange)
PANDA is a learning platform of Paderborn University. PANDA is used to provide learning content and organise learning processes. Students can also use web-based communication tools for discussions or exchanging information.

Compulsory course (P)

A compulsory course is a course that students are obliged to attend.

Examination regulations (PO)

All degree programmes are legally regulated by examination regulations. Examination regulations contain provisions on, for example, the structure of the degree programme, the duration and type (written/oral) of examinations, examination areas, deadlines or the university degree awarded after passing an examination. In principle, a degree programme must be completed in accordance with the examination regulations that were valid at the time the student started the degree programme at Paderborn University. It is possible that the examination regulations may change during the course of the degree programme. The extent to which this also applies/can apply to existing students can be found, for example, in the "transitional regulations" of the amended examination regulations. First-semester students in particular should familiarise themselves with their specific regulations before starting their studies.

(Centre for Educational Research and Teacher Training - PLAZ-Professional School)

The abbreviation PLAZ originally stood for "Paderborn Teacher Training Centre" and is still used today as an abbreviation for the "Centre for Educational Research and Teacher Training - PLAZ-Professional School" at Paderborn University. The PLAZ serves to support future teachers and advises prospective and current students on teacher training programmes. In addition, the PLAZ takes on specific tasks in the field of study and teaching, in the field of research and in cooperation with university and non-university partners.


A doctorate is the highest academic degree awarded in Germany. With a doctorate, a graduate demonstrates the ability to carry out in-depth independent academic work. A doctorate entitles the holder to use the doctoral degree with an addition that indicates the department (e.g. Dr. med. = Doctor of Medicine).

Proseminar (PS)

The proseminar is a course for undergraduate students which generally concludes with a written examination.

Examination board (PA)

The examination board is usually made up of university lecturers, academic staff and students and ensures that the provisions of the examination regulations are adhered to. It decides on all examination matters, e.g. on appeals against decisions made in examination procedures.

Examination performance (PL)

An examination is a procedure in which certain knowledge or performance is tested. How the examination is conducted is usually specified in the examination regulations.

Psychosocial counselling (PSB) The Psychosocial Counselling Service of the Central Student Advisory Service offers support with study-related and personal problems. In addition to individual counselling sessions, students can also take advantage of group offers, workshops and lectures on various topics.
Re-registration By paying the semester fees in due form and time, students must "re-register" for their studies each semester.

Semester ticket (SeTi)

The semester ticket is the ticket for students that allows them to use public transport.

Semester week hour (SWS)

A semester hour per week is used to indicate the amount of time spent on a course. The indication "1 SWS" means that the corresponding course is taught for 45 minutes per week for the duration of one semester.

sine tempore (s.t.)

If a course starts punctually at 9.00 a.m., the time is indicated as 9.00 a.m. s.t. (Latin: sine tempore = "without time").

Student assistant (SHK)

Studentassistants are students who work as temporary staff in the field of the university.

OWL Study Fund

The OWL Study Fund Foundation is a cooperation project between the five universities in the state of North Rhine-Westphalia in East Westphalia-Lippe (Paderborn University, Bielefeld University, Bielefeld University of Applied Sciences, Ostwestfalen Lippe University of Applied Sciences, Detmold University of Music) that is unique in Germany. The founders and board members of the study fund are the presidents and rectors of the five participating universities.

Studying with disabilities (SmB)

Paderborn University endeavours to support students with disabilities or chronic illnesses in their studies in such a way that they can participate in higher education on an equal and self-determined basis. In accordance with the Higher Education Framework Act, care is therefore taken to ensure that students with a disability are not disadvantaged in their studies and can take advantage of the university's programmes without outside help as far as possible. The representative for students with disabilities and chronic illnesses at Paderborn University is Cornelia Wagner (Central Student Advisory Service).

Studium Generale (SG)

Within the framework of the Studium Generale , subject areas can be chosen from the entire range of courses offered by the university (not possible for all degree programmes). It is intended to broaden students' knowledge horizons, provide an insight into other disciplines and improve their general education.

Summer semester (SoSe)

A semester is the common term for a half-year of study at a university. A summer semester usually runs from the beginning of April to the end of September. A winter semester usually runs from the beginning of October to the end of March. The semester includes both the lecture period and the lecture-free period.

Student Parliament

The student parliament is the elected representation of the student body and the highest decision-making body of student self-administration. The student parliament is made up of students from various groups and lists. It elects and monitors the AStA, determines the student body's budget and decides on motions that affect students.

Student Secretariat (StudSek) The Student Secretariat is responsible in particular for all formalities associated with studying (e.g. application, enrolment or re-registration).

University Library
(UniBib, BiBo)

The university library is located in the BI section of the building and provides students with an extensive selection of books and journals. In addition to reference literature, users can also access electronic information media.


UPB is the official abbreviation of Paderborn University.

Specialisation module (VM)

Specialisationmodules are teaching units of a degree programme. They are defined in the examination regulations and usually expand on the content of the basic and advanced modules.

Lecture and tutorial (V+Ü)

Certain lectures are linked to the attendance of tutorials , which repeat the content of the course and generally prepare students for the subsequent examination.

Compulsory elective course (WP)

Students can choose certain courses that they would like to attend from a range of courses on offer. These courses are called compulsory elective courses.

Waiting period

This is the time that has elapsed since you obtained your university entrance qualification and is counted in semesters. The waiting period does not include semesters that you may have already been enrolled at a German university. These semesters are counted as "Parkstudium" and are deducted when calculating your "Waiting semesters". Your waiting period is recalculated each time you apply for a place. Even if you do not apply in the meantime, your waiting time will be taken into account when you reapply.

Winter semester (WiSe)

A semester is the common term for a half-year of study at a university. A winter semester usually runs from the beginning of October to the end of March; a summer semester usually runs from the beginning of April to the end of September. The semester includes both the lecture period and the lecture-free period.

Research assistant with a Bachelor's degree (WHB) WHB are students who have already successfully completed a university degree programme with a standard period of study of at least 6 semesters (e.g. a Bachelor's degree programme or a degree programme at a university of applied sciences) and who are employed to provide academic or artistic assistance at Paderborn University.

Workload (WL)

Workload is an element of the new ECTS system that specifies the amount of time spent on a course. This is intended to ensure the comparability of achievements throughout Germany and internationally.

Central Student Advisory Service (ZSB)

The Central Student Advisory Service is a contact point for those seeking help in the university field. It informs, advises, helps and supports prospective students and students in all phases of their studies. The ZSB comprises four areas of work: general student counselling, psychosocial counselling, career service and counselling on studying with a disability or chronic illness.

Centre for Information and Media Technologies (IMT)

The IMT is responsible for the technical support of Paderborn University and its students. In addition, technical equipment such as cameras, notebooks and the like can be borrowed from the IMT free of charge for study purposes and events.

Centre for Language Teaching (ZFS)

The Centre for Language Teaching is a Paderborn University institution where students can take various language courses. The Centre offers a wide range of different language courses from Arabic to Finnish, English, Japanese and Turkish. Students can also catch up on missing language skills (e.g. Latin or Ancient Greek) at the Centre for Language Teaching.


Aufbaumodule sind Lehreinheiten eines Studiengangs. Sie werden in der Prüfungsordnung festgelegt und bauen in der Regel auf die Inhalte von Basismodulen auf. Das Belegen von Aufbaumodulen erfordert teilweise den erfolgreichen Abschluss bestimmter Basismodule.

Das Auditorium Maximum (kurz: Audimax) ist der größte Hörsaal an einer Universität: An der Universität Paderborn umfasst das Audimax 626 Sitzplätze.

Der Allgemeine Studierendenausschuss (AStA) ist ein Organ der verfassten Studierendenschaft. Er vertritt die Studierendenschaft, führt die Beschlüsse des Studierendenparlaments (StuPa) aus und erledigt die Geschäfte der laufenden Verwaltung der Studierendenschaft. Der AStA vertritt die Interessen der Studierendenschaft (z.B. gegenüber dem Rektorat oder dem Präsidium). Der AStA übernimmt aber nicht nur repräsentative Aufgaben, sondern hilft den Studierenden als ständiger Ansprechpartner bei Problemen weiter.


Der Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) ist ein akademischer Grad, der z.B. Absolvent*innen der Sozial-, Sprach- und Kulturwissenschaften verliehen wird. Es handelt sich dabei um einen ersten berufsqualifizierenden, akademischen Abschluss.

Der Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) ist ein akademischer Grad, der Absolvent*innen des grundständigen Lehramtsstudiums verliehen wird.

Der Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) ist ein akademischer Grad, der z.B. Absolvent*innen der Mathematik, Informatik, Natur- und Technik- bzw. Ingenieurwissenschaften, je nach Ausrichtung aber auch Wirtschaftswissenschaften verliehen wird. Es handelt sich dabei um einen ersten berufsqualifizierenden, akademischen Abschluss.

Basismodule sind Lehreinheiten eines Studiengangs. Sie werden in der Prüfungsordnung festgelegt und dienen in der Regel zu Einführungen in bestimmte Themengebiete.


Ein Campus ist die Gesamtanlage einer Universität. Die Universität Paderborn ist eine „Campus-Uni“; dies bedeutet, dass die universitären Einrichtungen größtenteils an einem Ort (Warburger Str. 100, Paderborn) beheimatet sind, also nahe beieinander liegen bzw. sogar architektonisch miteinander verbunden sind. Dies hat den großen Vorteil, dass lange „Anfahrtswege“ zwischen den einzelnen Lehrveranstaltungen entfallen.

Der Career Service ist zentraler Ansprechpartner für Studierende und Absolvent*innen bei allen Fragen zur beruflichen Zielfindung, zur Bewerbung und zum Berufseinstieg. Das Angebot umfasst berufsorientierende Veranstaltungen, Praxisprojekte sowie ein Job- und Karriereportal. Der Career Service ist somit die Schnittstelle zwischen Studium und Beruf.

Die Credit Points/Leistungs Punkte/ECTS sind die Punkte, mit denen der studentische Leistungsaufwand gemessen wird. Sie sollen den Arbeitsumfang in Stunden abbilden, den die Studierenden durchschnittlich für ein Modul des Studiums aufbringen. Ein LP/CP (so die Abkürzung) entspricht ungefähr 30 Stunden Arbeit. Für den Bachelor-Abschluss an der Universität Paderborn müssen Studierende 180 sammeln.

Als akademisches Viertel wird die Viertelstunde bezeichnet, die eine Lehrveranstaltung später startet. So beginnt bspw. eine Vorlesung, die mit 16 Uhr c.t. (lat.: cum tempore = „mit Zeit“) angegeben ist, tatsächlich erst um 16.15 Uhr.

Curriculum bedeutet Lehrplan und stellt den inhaltlichen Aufbau eines Studiums dar.


Das Dekanat leitet und koordiniert die unterschiedlichen Aufgaben und Tätigkeiten der jeweiligen Fakultät.

Die DeliCard ist das bargeldlose Bezahlsystem des Studentenwerks Paderborn. Gegen einen Pfand von 5€ gibt das Studentenwerk Bezahlkarten aus, mit denen man an allen Einrichtungen des Studentenwerks bargeldlos bezahlen kann. Aufladen kann man die Karten an speziellen „Aufwert-Automaten“ an der Uni Paderborn oder an den Kassen der einzelnen Einrichtungen.

Um bei der Studienplatzvergabe in den zulassungsbeschränkten Ein-Fach-Bachelor-Studiengängen (der Universität Paderborn) berücksichtigt werden zu können, ist zunächst eine Bewerbung im Dialogorientierten Serviceverfahren (DoSV) über die Serviceplattform Hochschulstart notwendig.

Das Diploma Supplement ist eine Urkunde, die zusammen mit dem Prüfungszeugnis ausgehändigt oder auf Antrag ausgestellt wird. Es enthält Angaben über den akademischen Abschluss und Grad sowie ergänzende Informationen über Studieninhalte, Studienverlauf, die mit dem Abschluss erworbenen akademischen und beruflichen Qualifikationen und über die verleihende Hochschule.

Eine Person, die lehrend an einer Hochschule oder einer ähnlichen Einrichtung tätig ist, wird Dozent*in (lat.: docere= lehren) genannt.


Das European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) ist ein Leistungspunktesystem, mit dem Studierende im Bachelor-/Mastersystem Leistungspunkte bzw. Credit Points erwerben können. Durch die Verwendung des Systems werden Studienleistungen national und international vergleichbarer gemacht.

Das Erasmus-Programm ist ein Programm der Europäischen Union zum Austausch von Studierenden an europäischen Hochschulen.

Exmatrikulation bedeutet wörtlich „Ausschreibung“. Durch die Exmatrikulation erlischt automatisch der Studierendenstatus. Studierende können sich freiwillig exmatrikulieren oder werden ggf. automatisch exmatrikuliert. Eine Exmatrikulation kann dabei verschiedene Gründe haben, z.B. ein freiwilliger Abbruch des Studiums, eine endgültig nicht bestandene Prüfung, keine ordnungsgemäße Rückmeldung zum Studium, das Fehlen einer Versicherungsbescheinigung oder auch das erfolgreiche Bestehen des Studiums.


Als Fachschaft oder Fachschaftsrat wird eine Institution der studentischen Selbstverwaltung und Interessensvertretung an Universitäten bezeichnet.

Fachsemester erfassen die Zeiten des aktuell betriebenen Studienganges. Bereits absolvierte Semester an anderen Universitäten oder anderer Fachrichtungen werden dabei nicht erfasst. Urlaubssemester zählen nicht zu den Fachsemestern, sondern zu den Hochschulsemestern.


Das GTZ ist das Fitnessstudio der Uni Paderborn, in dem Studierende für einen geringen Monatsbeitrag trainieren können.


Eine Habilitation erfolgt im Anschluss einer Promotion und ist die höchste Hochschulprüfung in Deutschland. Durch das Anfertigen einer Habilitationsschrift wird, im Rahmen eines akademischen Prüfungsverfahrens, die Lehrbefähigung in einem wissenschaftlichen Fach festgestellt. Auf Antrag kann zusätzlich die Lehrbefugnis ausgestellt werden, die die Führung der Bezeichnung „Privatdozent*in“ erlaubt.

Hochschulsemester erfassen alle Semester, die Studierende an einer Universität eingeschrieben sind. Bei einem Studiengangwechsel innerhalb einer Universität werden die Hochschulsemester weiter gezählt, sie sind nicht an eine bestimmte Fachrichtung gebunden. Die Fachsemesterzahl beginnt dann jedoch wieder bei 1. Auch Urlaubssemester werden als Hochschulsemester gezählt.

Der Hochschulsport der Uni Paderborn bietet Studierenden verschiedene Möglichkeiten der sportlichen Betätigung.


Immatrikulation bedeutet „Einschreibung“. Wer sich an einer Universität bewirbt und einen Studienplatz erhält, kann eingeschrieben werden und wird dadurch ein*e Student*in der Universität.

Das International Office ist eine Einrichtung der Universität. Hauptaufgabe des International Office ist die Beratung und Betreuung von Studierenden, die aus dem Ausland kommen und an der Universität Paderborn studieren möchten sowie von Paderborner Studierenden, die ein Auslandsemester planen.


Ein Kolloquium ist ein Gespräch oder eine Unterredung und wird in seiner Bedeutung i.d.R. als wissenschaftliches Gespräch / fachlicher Gedankenaustausch verstanden.


Die Leistungspunkte/Credit Points/ECTS sind die Punkte, mit denen der studentische Leistungsaufwand gemessen wird. Sie sollen den Arbeitsumfang in Stunden abbilden, den die Studierenden durchschnittlich für ein Modul des Studiums aufbringen. Ein LP/CP (so die Abkürzung) entspricht ungefähr 30 Stunden Arbeit. Für den Bachelor-Abschluss an der Universität Paderborn müssen Studierende 180 sammeln.

Unter dem Begriff Lehrveranstaltung werden alle Unterrichtseinheiten eines Hochschulstudiums zusammengefasst. Es gibt verschiedene Arten der Lehrveranstaltungen, die sich u.a. darin unterscheiden, wer den Lehrstoff vermittelt oder wie der Lehrstoff vermittelt wird (z.B. Vorlesungen, Seminare, Übungen, Tutorien, usw.).


Der Master of Arts (M.A.) ist der akademische Grad, den Absolvent*innen eines Masterstudiums der Sozial-, Sprach- und Kulturwissenschaften verliehen wird.

Der Master of Education ist der akademische Grad, den Absolvent*innen eines aufbauenden Masterstudiums für das Lehramt verliehen wird. Der erfolgreiche Abschluss des Master of Education gilt als Voraussetzung für den Einstieg in den staatlichen Vorbereitungsdienst (Referendariat).

Der Master of Science ist der akademische Grad, den Absolvent*innen der Mathematik, Informatik, Natur-und Technik- bzw. Ingenieurwissenschaften, je nach Ausrichtung aber auch Wirtschaftswissenschaften verliehen wird.

Mensa (lat. Tisch) ist die Kantine in einer Universität. Hier können Studierende und Mitarbeiter*innen der Universität zu vergünstigten Preisen Mahlzeiten zu sich nehmen.

MINT ist eine zusammenfassende Bezeichnung von Studienfächern aus den Bereichen Mathematik, Informatik, Naturwissenschaft und Technik.

Ein Modul ist eine Lehreinheit, die aus mehreren Lehrveranstaltungen zu einem gemeinsamen Teilgebiet eines Studienfachs besteht. Jeder Bestandteil eines Moduls – dazu gehören auch mündliche oder schriftliche „Modulabschlussprüfungen“ – wird entsprechend dem mit der Teilnahme verbundenen Zeitaufwand mit Credit Points (nach dem European Credit Transfer System) gewichtet.


Durch eine gesundheitliche Beeinträchtigung (körperliche Behinderung, eine chronische/psychische Erkrankung) können im Verlauf eines Studiums sowie bei Prüfungen besondere Situationen entstehen. Beispielsweise müssen Anwesenheitspflichten erfüllt sein und Praktika oder Auslandsaufenthalte während des Studium absolviert werden. Dies können Studierende mit Beeinträchtigungen oft nicht in der vorgegebenen Weise oder in der vorgesehenen Zeit erbringen. Ein Nachteilsausgleich kompensiert individuelle und situationsbezogene Benachtei­ligungen im Studium.

Nomen nominandum (lat.: zu nennender Name) bzw. nomen nescio (lat.: Name unbekannt) abgekürzt „N.N.“, ist die Bezeichnung, die hinter einer Lehrveranstaltung steht, bei der noch keine Lehrperson feststeht

Numerus clausus (lat.: Anzahl geschlossen) bezeichnet zulassungsbeschränkte Studiengänge (abgekürzt: NC). Für Studiengänge bzw. Studienfächer kann eine Zulassungsbeschränkung festgelegt werden, wenn die mögliche Zahl der Bewerber*innen die Zahl der verfügbaren Studienplätze übersteigen könnte und so ein ordnungsgemäßes Studium nicht mehr garantiert werden kann. Dies bedeutet, dass ggf. nicht alle Studienplatzbewerber*innen eine Zulassung zum Studium bekommen können.


In der O-Phase (oder O-Woche/O-Tage) bekommen die Erstsemester*innen der Universität Paderborn wichtige Informationen über ihren Studiengang und die Studienorganisation. Die O-Phase ist immer in der Woche VOR Vorlesungsbeginn und sollte unbedingt genutzt werden.


PAUL (Paderborner Assistenzsystem für Universität und Lehre) ist das Selbstverwaltungssystem für Studierende der Universität Paderborn. Hier bewerben sich Studieninteressierte für einen Studienplatz und verwalten Studierende ihr Studium. Über PAUL werden z.B. Lehrveranstaltungen gewählt und Prüfungen angemeldet. Zudem können Dozent*innen hier gezielt Teilnehmer*innen ihrer Kurse anschreiben und Informationen zu Vorlesungen und Seminaren geben.

PANDA ist eine Lernplattform der Universität Paderborn. Über PANDA werden Lerninhalte bereitgestellt und Lernvorgänge organisiert. Studierende können zudem webbasierte Kommunikationswerkzeuge für Diskussionen oder Austausch von Informationen nutzen.  

Eine Pflichtveranstaltung ist eine Lehrveranstaltung, die Studierende verpflichtend belegen müssen.

Alle Studiengänge sind rechtsverbindlich durch Prüfungsordnungen geregelt. Prüfungsordnungen enthalten Bestimmungen z.B. über den Aufbau des Studiengangs, die Dauer und Art (schriftlich/mündlich) der Prüfungen, Prüfungsgebiete, Fristen oder den nach bestandener Prüfung erworbenen Hochschulgrad. Grundsätzlich ist ein Studium nach der Prüfungsordnung zu absolvieren, die zum Zeitpunkt des Beginns des Fachstudiums an der Universität Paderborn gültig war. Während des Studienverlaufs kann es möglich sein, dass sich die Prüfungsordnung ändert. Inwiefern diese auch für die bereits Studierenden gilt/gelten kann, findet sich z.B. in den „Übergangsregelungen“ der geänderten Prüfungsordnung. Insbesondere Erstsemester sollten sich vor Beginn des Studiums mit ihrer spezifischen Ordnung auseinandersetzen.

Die Abkürzung PLAZ stand ursprünglich für „Paderborner Lehrerausbildungszentrum“ und wird heute weiterhin als Abkürzung für das „Zentrum für Bildungsforschung und Lehrerbildung – PLAZ-Professional School“ der Universität Paderborn verwendet. Das PLAZ dient der Unterstützung zukünftiger Lehrer*innen und berät Studieninteressierte und Studierende bzgl. des Lehramtsstudiums. Zusätzlich übernimmt das PLAZ spezifische Aufgaben im Bereich von Studium und Lehre, im Bereich der Forschung sowie im Zusammenwirken mit universitären und außeruniversitären Partnern.

Die Promotion ist die Verleihung des höchsten in Deutschland verliehenen akademischen Grades. Mit einer Promotion weist ein*e Absolvent*in die Befähigung zu vertiefter selbständiger wissenschaftlicher Arbeit nach. Eine Promotion berechtigt zur Führung des Doktorgrades mit einem Zusatz, der das Fachgebiet kennzeichnet (z.B. Dr. med. = Doktor der Medizin).

Das Proseminar ist eine Lehrveranstaltung für Studierende im Grundstudium, die im Allgemeinen mit einer schriftlichen Prüfung abschließt.

Der Prüfungsausschuss setzt sich i.d.R. aus Hochschullehrer*innen, akademischen Mitarbeiter*innen und Studierenden zusammen und achtet darauf, dass die Bestimmungen der Prüfungsordnung eingehalten werden. Er entscheidet in allen Prüfungsfragen, so z.B. über Widersprüche gegen in Prüfungsverfahren getroffene Entscheidungen.

Eine Prüfungsleistung ist das Verfahren, bei dem bestimmte Kenntnisse oder Leistungen abgefragt werden. Wie die Prüfungsleistung durchgeführt wird, wird in der Regel in der Prüfungsordnung festgelegt.

Die Psychosoziale Beratung der Zentralen Studienberatung bietet Unterstützung bei studienbedingten und persönlichen Problemlagen an. Neben Einzelgesprächen können Studierende auch Gruppenangebote, Workshops und Vorträge zu verschiedenen Themen nutzen.     


Durch eine form- und fristgerechte Zahlung der Semestergebühren, müssen sich Studierende jedes Semester erneut für das Studium „zurückmelden“. Ohne eine Rückmeldung werden Studierende automatisch exmatrikuliert.


Das Semesterticket ist der Fahrausweis für Studierende, mit dem die beteiligten öffentlichen Verkehrsmittel benutzt werden dürfen.

Eine Semesterwochenstunde wird benutzt, um den Zeitaufwand für eine Lehrveranstaltung anzugeben. Dabei bedeutet die Angabe „1 SWS“, dass die entsprechende Veranstaltung für die Dauer eines Semesters wöchentlich 45 Minuten lang gelehrt wird.

Beginnt eine Veranstaltung pünktlich um 9:00 Uhr, wird die Uhrzeit mit 9 Uhr s.t. (lat.: sine tempore = „ohne Zeit“) angegeben.

Studentische Hilfskräfte sind Studierende, die im Bereich der Universität als Aushilfskräfte arbeiten.

Die Stiftung Studienfonds OWL ist ein deutschlandweit einmaliges Kooperationsprojekt der fünf Hochschulen des Landes NRW in Ostwestfalen-Lippe (Universität Paderborn, Universität Bielefeld, Fachhochschule Bielefeld, Hochschule Ostwestfalen Lippe, Hochschule für Musik Detmold). Gründer und zugleich Vorstand des Studienfonds sind die Präsident*innen und Rektor*innen der fünf beteiligten Hochschulen.

Die Universität Paderborn ist darum bemüht, Studierenden mit Behinderung oder chronischen Krankheiten in ihrem Studium so zu unterstützen, dass sie gleichberechtigt und selbstbestimmt an der Hochschulbildung teilnehmen können. Im Sinne des Hochschulrahmengesetzes wird daher dafür Sorge getragen, dass Studierende mit einer Beeinträchtigung in ihrem Studium nicht benachteiligt werden und die Angebote der Hochschule möglichst ohne fremde Hilfe in Anspruch nehmen können. Die Beauftragte für Studierende mit Behinderung und chronischen Krankheiten an der Universität Paderborn ist Cornelia Wagner (Zentrale Studienberatung).

Im Rahmen des Studium Generale sind Fächer aus dem gesamten Angebot der Universität wählbar (nicht für alle Studiengänge möglich). Es soll den studentischen Wissenshorizont erweitern, einen Einblick in andere Fachdisziplinen ermöglichen und die Allgemeinbildung der Studierenden verbessern.

Ein Semester ist die gebräuchliche Bezeichnung für ein Studienhalbjahr an einer Universität. Ein Sommersemester geht i.d.R. von Anfang April bis Ende September. Ein Wintersemester geht i.d.R. von Anfang Oktober bis Ende März. Das Semester umfasst sowohl die vorlesungs- als auch die vorlesungsfreie Zeit.

Das Studierendenparlament ist die gewählte Vertretung der Studierendenschaft und das höchste beschlussfassende Gremium der studentischen Selbstverwaltung. Das Studierendenparlament besteht aus Studierenden verschiedener Gruppierungen und Listen. Es wählt und kontrolliert den AStA, stellt den Haushalt der Studierendenschaft fest und entscheidet über Anträge, die die Studierenden betreffen.

Das Studierendensekretariat ist insbesondere zuständig für alle Formalitäten, die mit dem Studium verbunden sind (z.B. Bewerbung, Immatrikulation oder Rückmeldung).


Die Universitätsbibliothek befindet sich im Gebäudeteil BI und stellt Studierenden eine umfangreiche Auswahl an Büchern und Zeitschriften zur Verfügung. Neben der Präsenzliteratur können Nutzer*innen auch auf elektronische Informationsmedien zugreifen.

UPB ist die offizielle Abkürzung der Universität Paderborn.


Vertiefungsmodule sind Lehreinheiten eines Studiengangs. Sie werden in der Prüfungsordnung festgelegt und vertiefen in der Regel die Inhalte der Basismodule und Aufbaumodule.

Bestimmte Vorlesungen sind an den Besuch von Übungen gekoppelt, die die Inhalte der Veranstaltung wiederholen und i.d.R. auf die darauffolgende Prüfungsleistung vorbereiten.


Aus einem Angebot aus mehreren Lehrveranstaltungen können sich Studierende bestimmte Lehrveranstaltungen aussuchen, die sie belegen möchten. Diese Lehrveranstaltungen werden Wahlpflichtveranstaltungen genannt.

Ist die Zeit, die seit dem Erwerb Ihrer Studienberechtigung verstrichen ist und wird in Halbjahren gezählt. Nicht zur Wartezeit zählen die Semester, die Sie ggf. bereits an einer deutschen Hochschule eingeschrieben waren. Diese Semester werden als „Parkstudium“ gewertet und bei der Berechnung ihrer „Wartesemester“ abgezogen. Ihre Wartezeit wird bei jeder Bewerbung für einen Studienplatz neu berechnet. Auch wer sich zwischenzeitlich nicht bewirbt, erhält bei einer erneuten Bewerbung seine entsprechende Wartezeit angerechnet.

Ein Semester ist die gebräuchliche Bezeichnung für ein Studienhalbjahr an einer Universität. Ein Wintersemester geht i.d.R. von Anfang Oktober bis Ende März; ein Sommersemester geht i. d. R. von Anfang April bis Ende September. Das Semester beinhaltet sowohl die vorlesungs- als auch die vorlesungsfreie Zeit.

WHB sind Studierende, die bereits ein Hochschulstudium mit einer Regelstudienzeit von mindestens 6 Semestern (z.B. einem Bachelor-Studiengang oder einem Fachhochschulstudiengang) erfolgreich abgeschlossen haben und die zur Erbringung von wissenschaftlichen oder künstlerischen Hilfstätigkeiten an der Universität Paderborn beschäftigt werden.             

Workload ist ein Element des neuen ECTS-Systems, mit dem der jeweilige zeitliche Arbeitsaufwand für eine Leistung angegeben wird. Dadurch soll die Vergleichbarkeit von Leistungen deutschlandweit und international erreicht werden.


Die Zentrale Studienberatung ist eine Anlaufstelle für Hilfesuchende im universitären Bereich. Sie informiert, berät, hilft und unterstützt Studieninteressierte und Studierende in allen Studienphasen. Die ZSB umfasst dabei vier Arbeitsbereiche: allgemeine Studienberatung, psychosoziale Beratung, Career Service und Beratung zum Studium mit Behinderung und chronischer Krankheit.

Das IMT ist für die technische Betreuung der Universität Paderborn und deren Studierenden zuständig. Zusätzlich können im IMT technisches Equipment wie Kameras, Notebooks und Ähnliches für Studienzwecke und Veranstaltungen kostenlos ausgeliehen werden.

Das Zentrum für Sprachlehre ist eine universitäre Einrichtung der Universität Paderborn; hier können Studierende verschiedene Sprachkurse belegen. Dabei wird ein breites Spektrum an unterschiedlichen Sprachkursen von Arabisch über Finnisch, Englisch, Japanisch und Türkisch angeboten. Studierende können im Zentrum für Sprachlehre auch noch fehlende Sprachkenntnisse nachholen (z.B. Latein oder Altgriechisch).

Con­tact us

Are all your questions still unanswered? Then the Central Student Advisory Service (ZSB) will be happy to provide you with further information: