Top-ups for students

From the 2022 project onwards, students with a disability or chronic illness, students with child(ren), students from a non-academic home and working students can receive a top-up amount of 250€/month in addition to their regular Erasmus+ grant. Participants with a disability or chronic illness as well as participants with child(ren) can claim real costs. If you would like to apply for real costs, please contact Ms. Boubaker at least two months before your mobility starts.

You can apply for the top-up amount with the help of a questionnaire in the download section.

Students with chronic illness

  • Chronic illness with additional financial needs abroad
  • A declaration on honour in which the beneficiary confirms that he/she meets the admission requirements and that he/she has the required documents and agrees to provide these documents at the request of the sending institution. This declaration is included in the annex of the grant agreement.

Students with disability(ies)

  • Degree of disability of 20 or more
  • Submit a copy of the disabled person's identity card, notification from the provincial social welfare office or a medical certificate.

Student with child(ren)

  • At least one child is taken along during the entire stay abroad
  • Amount independent of the number of children
  • Application also possible if the partner is travelling with the child; double sponsorship of the child must be excluded
  • Copy of the birth certificate(s) of your child(ren) as an upload in Mobility Online.
  • After the stay abroad: Keep proof that your child(ren) was/are abroad with you (e.g. airline tickets) on request to the International Office.

First-time academics (students from a non-academic home)

  • Both parents or caregivers do not have a degree from a university or university of applied sciences
  • Signature of the declaration on honour contained in the annex to the grant agreement, in which the beneficiary confirms the admission requirements and the existence of supporting documents, as well as the agreement to hold these documents available at the request of the sending higher education institution.

Employed students

  • The employment must have been continuously pursued for at least six months with a time reference to the mobility.
  • The period of employment must lie within a time window of 6 months before the application for the mobility and the time of the start of the mobility.
  • The employment in the sending country is not continued during the stay abroad. Termination is not a prerequisite, the employment contract can also be paused.
  • During the minimum period of exercise before application, the monthly earnings must be above 450 EUR and below 850 EUR (net earnings of all activities per month added up).
  • This is employment subject to social security contributions. As a rule, self-employed activities and dual/part-time study programmes with a fixed salary are excluded.
  • Verifiable records must be kept and evidence must be provided in the event of random checks by the IO.

Students with severe disability(ies)

Upon application, you will receive the additional financial needs up to € 15,000 in addition to the regular Erasmus+ grant. An individual assessment is made of the expected additional costs that are likely to arise during the Erasmus+ mobility or in the host country and are not covered by other cost units. For example, additional costs for barrier-free accommodation, travel assistance, medical care abroad, adaptation of learning materials or an accompanying person are taken into account.

  • Degree of disability of 20 and above
  • Funding can only be applied for periods funded through Erasmus+.
  • This type of special funding requires a detailed application for special funding. You can obtain the application documents from the International Office. The detailed application must be submitted to the DAAD at least 2 months before the start of the stay abroad.
  • Copy of your disability certificate
  • Rejection from other funding bodies (integration offices, health insurance funds, regional associations, social welfare offices, student services)
  • After the stay abroad: receipts for the costs incurred (flight tickets, rental contracts, contracts for work with support staff, proof of payment, etc.)