Sie haben Javascript deaktiviert!
Sie haben versucht eine Funktion zu nutzen, die nur mit Javascript möglich ist. Um sämtliche Funktionalitäten unserer Internetseite zu nutzen, aktivieren Sie bitte Javascript in Ihrem Browser.

Snow on campus. Show image information

Snow on campus.

Photo: Paderborn University, Johannes Pauly

Information, service points and contact persons to help you get settled into your new job

On this page, we would like to provide you with important information on your workplace. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the relevant contact person or your colleagues in the Human Resources Department.

The Central University Administration has compiled all of the essential forms related to your workplace on one page. The following sections refer to these forms.

You will also find specific information on employment regulations for pay-scale employees and terms of service for civil servants on the webpages of Division 4.2.

p.s: Please refer to the checklists for the onboarding process for new staff and their superiors. You can also download our detailed online PDF brochure for new staff. All documents are available in both German and English.

IT contact persons

For all IT-related issues, faculty staff should contact the IMT, and Central University Administration staff Department 6. The Media Service Centre is the contact for the media-technical infrastructure.

A university account (as a basis for your email-address as well as further service) can be requested via a self-registration form available from the IMT. After processing the request, the IMT sends a transaction number (TAN) via internal mail (please specify the department/area and room number on the request). The TAN is then used to create the university account. Further information and the form can be obtained from the IMT.

For staff members in the Central University Administration, the university e-mail address is set up directly by Department 6 when the new job starts. It is not obligatory to have an IMT university account.

Service Centre, janitorial services and gate

The staff at Paderborn University’s Service Centre are on hand for you in the university’s lobby (tel. 52 99).

Opening hours: Mon. - Thurs. 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m., Fri. 8:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. (closed Tuesdays from 10 a.m. - 12 p.m.)

You can find the janitorial services in Room H0.107 or call the team on 2972.

You can reach the security guards on the gate (Warburger Straße) on tel. 2499.

Key management

Employees assigned to an office will be issued their office key at the key collection point (Division 5.2) after their supervisor has co-signed the “Key Receipt” form.

The key collection point (Division 5.2) office hours are mornings from 8 - 10 a.m. and afternoons from 1 - 2 p.m.

Allocation of rooms / short-term use of rooms

Division 2.4 (Beate Pietsch) is responsible for the central allocation of rooms (especially for courses).

If you need to book a room for a short period of time for a special event or meeting that is not part of a regular taught course, please make the appropriate arrangements with the team in Division 5.2 (Michael Stöppel) (see the room booking application form: "Diensträumeüberlassungsantrag"). Further details are regulated in the guidelines on room bookings.

Working hours

The number of working hours per week is governed by the Collective Agreement for the Public Sector of the German Federal States (TV-L) and the German regulation on weekly working hours for civil servants. The following regular weekly working hours therefore apply, scaled by age and, where applicable, taking into account any severe disability.


For pay-scale employees, the TV-L applies:
Regular weekly working hours 39 hours 50 minutes
For employees with a degree of disability of 80% or more

39 hours

When assigned to regular shift work 38 hours 30 minutes

For part-time employment, the weekly working hours are reduced in accordance with the employment contract. The distribution of the working hours per week is generally aligned with the relevant teaching and research requirements and must be agreed upon with the employee’s supervisor.

The number of working hours for civil servants (does not apply to [junior] professors) is currently 41 hours per week. Upon reaching the age of 55 or 60, civil servants’ working hours are reduced to 40 or 39 hours. Different regulations apply to civil servants with a severe disability (see Section 2 (1) of the North Rhine-Westphalia Ordinance on Working Time (AZVO NRW)).

Please contact your HR representative for any questions concerning the number of working hours.


In many departments and institutions, non-academic staff are required to use the time sheet system; in other departments and institutions, this is optional. Academic staff may also use the flexitime system.

You can find information on flexitime (works agreement on flexitime, guidelines on flexitime agreements, locations of flexitime terminals, forms etc.) here.

Holiday leave / special leave / leave of absence

You are entitled to holiday leave once you have completed 6 months of employment. Before the end of the probationary period, you may be granted holiday leave in proportion to the duration of employment. All employees whose working hours are distributed over five days per calendar week generally receive 30 days of holiday leave per year (for full years of employment).

Holiday leave must be taken by the end of a “holiday leave year”, i.e. a calendar year. For pay-scale employees, any remaining holiday leave that has not been taken by the end of the following calendar year will expire. For civil servants, holiday leave must be taken by the end of March of the following year.

Please request your holiday leave in good time, using the relevant form (see Forms) from the Human Resources Department; holiday leave may not be taken without prior approval. Professors must inform their respective dean’s office well in advance before their holiday leave starts. Staff members teaching courses generally have to take their holiday leave during the semester break.

Employees with severe disabilities and partially disabled employees are entitled to additional leave. As a prerequisite for this, the Human Resources Department must have valid proof of the disability from the pension office/social services office.

Leaves of absence or special leave, which may be granted for personal reasons such as childbirth by a spouse/civil partner, childcare in the event of illness, the death of a close relative or for an employment or service anniversary, must be applied for and approved by the Human Resources Department through the official channels.

Further information can be obtained from Division 4.3. Sabrina Gelhoet (H2.323, Tel. 4297) is responsible for requests for leave for academic staff and Dagmar Rebbe (B1.218, Tel. 5295) for non-academic staff.

Sick leave / incapacity to work

You may be absent from work on working days only with the consent of your employer. If, under certain circumstances, the employer’s consent cannot be obtained in advance, it must be obtained or requested immediately. In the event of a non-approved absence, the entitlement to continued payment of your salary or wages may not apply.

If you are going to be absent from work due to illness, please inform the Human Resources Department and your direct supervisor as soon as possible. This applies to both academic employees and employees in the Central University Administration.

Central e-mail address for sickness and return to work notifications:

For non-academic staff: krankmeldungen-np(at)zv.upb(dot)de

For academic staff: krankmeldungen-wp(at)zv.upb(dot)de

You should inform us that you are sick no later than 10 a.m. on the first day of absence. In general, you should also specify the expected duration of your absence from work. If your incapacity to work lasts longer than three calendar days, a doctor’s certificate must be submitted no later than by the following working day. In special individual cases, the employer is also entitled to request a doctor’s certificate before the 3-day period has passed. When you return to work after a leave of absence due to illness, please notify the Human Resources Department and your direct supervisor immediately after you resume your duties.

If an employee is unable to work due to the fault of a third party, the Human Resources Department must be informed so that compensation for damages can be claimed under certain circumstances.

Further information can be obtained from Division 4.3 (Ms Meier-Rohde, Ms Rebbe, Ms Gelhoet).

Persons entitled to state subsidies can apply for a state subsidy at their designated state subsidy office. The forms are available on our website in the „Beihilfe/ State Subsidies“section. Please note that the application must be submitted by the one-year cut-off date. The contact persons for issues relating to state subsidies are based in Dept. 4.1 (Stefan Schäferbarthold, Barbara König).   


Business trips and off-site work

Business trips for business purposes outside of the place of work may be commenced only after consultation with your supervisor and upon approval by the Travel Expenses Office (see Forms: Formulare Dienstreiseantrag (Request for approval of a business trip)).

Off-site work and business travel within the work premises are permitted if they are needed to properly, efficiently and quickly handle a matter. Such off-site work/travel must be approved in advance by the immediate supervisor (verbal approval is sufficient).

The German law governing travel expenses (Reisekostengesetz) applies to business trips.

Please submit your travel expense report immediately after the end of the business trip; this is advantageous because your receipts and data are still readily available, your expenses are reimbursed quickly and the expenses are settled before the six-month billing cut-off date.

Information on business trips and forms can be found on the travel expenses page (Reisekosten). If you have any questions, please contact the Travel Expenses Office (Division 4.1, Susanne Schwalk, Petra Kürpick, Norbert Bornhorst). 

Alternating telecommuting

As a family-friendly university, Paderborn University gives its employees the option of using the “alternating telecommuting” working model, with the aim of achieving a better work-life balance. Under certain conditions, employees who provide care for their children or for relatives can work from home part of the time (up to 2 days/week). Detailed information on telecommuting can be found here.

Secondary employment

Secondary employment refers to an additional position or secondary job that a full-time employee at Paderborn University takes which is not within the scope of their main position or main occupation. In general, secondary employment must be reported and/or approved before it can commence. Please contact your HR representative. Forms are available on the Central University Administration page.


Work and library ID card

Employees can apply for a combined work/library ID card or a separate library card via the IMT service portal. Information on applying for and collecting library cards can be found on the university library’s pages.

Teaching loads/assignments

Teaching loads: The teaching loads assigned are in accordance with the German ordinance on teaching loads at universities and universities of applied sciences (Lehrverpflichtungsverordnung). Full-time academic staff/research assistants with fixed-term employment contracts usually have – if they are teaching courses – a teaching load of 4 hours a week per semester. For permanent employees, the teaching load is based on the employment contract or the letter and certificate of appointment. It varies between 4 and 17 hours a week per semester. For part-time employees, the teaching load is reduced according to the number of hours worked. The subject and content of courses must be agreed on with the professors responsible for the subject area. Contact person in the Human Resources Department: Ms Denecke, Tel. 5361.

Teaching assignments may be awarded for teaching and course requirements not covered by full-time staff. Teaching assignments do not constitute an employment relationship, rather they are independent (freelance) contractor positions. Only the number of course hours completed are paid for; preparation and follow-up work is included in the remuneration for the teaching assignment. As a rule, the total number of teaching assignments at Paderborn University should not exceed 8 hours a week per semester. Contact person in the Human Resources Department: Mr Kesselmeier, Tel. 5247.

LBV: Payroll information

The NRW State Office for Salaries and Pensions (LBV NRW) NRW) is responsible for the calculation and payment of salaries for university employees.

A payslip will not be sent to you monthly. You will receive a wage and tax statement only if there are changes in the amount you are paid or in your personal circumstances. An explanation of the items on the payslip can be found here.

VBL: German Federal and State Government Employees Pension Fund

The German Federal and State Government Employees Pension Fund (VBL) offers supplementary old-age pension insurance, partial disability insurance and benefits for surviving dependants for pay-scale employees in the public sector.

Employees in the public sector who meet the necessary requirements are covered by the VBLklassik insurance scheme from the first day of employment. VBLklassik ensures that you will receive an occupational pension in addition to your statutory pension. Information on the basic insurance coverage and voluntary supplementary benefits can be obtained from the VBL.

Due to their limited contract duration, academic staff with fixed-term employment contracts often do not have the possibility to meet the 60-month waiting period required to draw a pension through the VBL compulsory insurance coverage. Consequently, these employees can be exempted from compulsory insurance with the VBL. In such cases, the employer must establish a supplementary old age pension provision through the VBLextra insurance plan instead. Pension benefits under this insurance can also be utilised without a required waiting period. Detailed information on the special provisions for academic employees can be found here.

Procurement and invoice processing

Division 1.4 (Lars Spischak) is in charge of all purchases at the university, unless the specific procurement is the responsibility of Department 5, the university library or the Information and Media Technologies Centre (IMT). You can find procurement-related information and forms on Division 1.4’s page.

The university uses the “central procurement” principle, i.e. only Division 1.4 – not the person or office submitting the purchase requisition (with the exception of direct purchases up to €1,000 net) – is responsible for making the purchase (for further information, please refer to the procurement guidelines ( Beschaffungsrichtlinien)


How do I handle the invoices I receive?

When you receive an invoice, please check to verify that the delivery and invoice amount correspond to the purchase order. Once you have checked and verified the invoice, please forward it to Dept. 1.1, along with a completed and signed Account Assignment Sheet.


What do the “mathematically correct” and “factually correct” stamps mean?

Verification of the mathematical correctness confirms that an invoice amount is correct with regard to the amount and that any agreements relevant to the amount (discounts, deductions, due dates) have been complied with. Verification of the factual correctness confirms that the delivery pertaining to the invoice has been completely and properly made or fulfilled (i.e. in accordance with the order and agreement). The authority to verify the factual correctness is granted, on request, by Dept. 1.1 (Heike Bunse, Tel. 5253). Every employee assigned to pay-scale group 3 or higher is granted the authority to “verify the mathematical correctness”.

Technical building equipment – reporting service disruptions and malfunctions

In the case of service disruptions, malfunctions and problems with the telephone system, lifts or other technical building equipment, please contact the Technical Facility Management division (Stefan Müller).

Printing, scanning, copying

Print, scan and copy jobs can be ordered from the university’s printing office, operated by Customized Business Services GmbH. The central printing office provides the following services, among others:

  • Printing/copying/plotting (DIN A6 up to and including DIN A0, material 80 - 300 g/m²), canvases on stretcher frames as well
  • Post-processing, finishing and preparation: stapling, hole-punching, folder finishing, stitching, binding (thermal binding, hardcover, metal spiral binding, plastic spiral binding, adhesive binding), cutting, folding, laminating, digital document compilation
  • Scanning: digitisation of drawings, folders, contracts; delivery in PDF format, data backup to external USB drive, delivery by e-mail
  • Other services: business card printing (see corporate design manual), production of labels

The order can be placed either in person at the office or by e-mail (uni-paderborn(at)cbs-group(dot)de). Please use the designated printing order form for this purpose. The contact person is Markus Franke (Room ZD0.101, Tel. 2000).

Occupational health & safety and environmental protection

Paderborn University has an occupational health and safety management system that was put into effect by the university management team and applies throughout the university as an obligatory work instruction. Information on occupational health & safety and environmental protection at Paderborn University is available here. Division 5.3 is responsible for this.

Occupational health & safety

The occupational health and safety officers in Division 5.3 advise and support the university management, as well as all other managers in all matters relating to occupational health and safety, accident prevention and designing ergonomic and user-friendly workspaces. They also provide staff members with advice on matters regarding ergonomics at the workplace and in selecting personal protective gear. This is procured centrally and available for collection from the ZSL building.

Occupational health management

To ensure a holistic approach to occupational health management, the “Healthy University” working group was set up to implement health-promoting living and working conditions at Paderborn University. For all employees, the annual “Health Passport” summarises the health promotion measures, programmes, courses and services.

Chemicals and waste

Chemicals are purchased centrally and can be picked up from the chemical disbursement area. Hazardous waste is disposed of via the Central Hazardous Material Storage Facility (ZSL building).

Chemicals disbursement times: Mon. - Fri. 10 - 11 a.m. and 2 - 3 p.m.

Special/hazardous waste disposal times: Mon. - Fri. 9 - 11 a.m. and 2 - 3 p.m.

University Medical Officer

The University Medical Officer advises the university management, as well as all other managers in all matters relating to occupational health and safety, accident prevention and designing ergonomic and user-friendly workspaces. They are a source of advice for all staff members in these matters and also perform occupational health examinations.

You can make an appointment by contacting Ms Lisa Seeland (e-mail: lisa.seeland(at)dekra(dot)com) at DEKRA Automobil GmbH on 0231 9954-125.

Fire protection and prevention

The current Fire Safety Regulations are published in Official Bulletin No. 170.14 in German and English. The printed version of the Fire Safety Regulations Part B and Part A (posters – laminated) can be ordered via Division 5.3.

Workplace accidents

Employees of Paderborn University are insured with the Unfallkasse Nordrhein-Westfalen statutory accident insurance provider. The relevant HR representative in the Human Resources Department must be immediately informed of any accidents/accident reports.


The Marketing Unit coordinates the central university marketing activities and promotes the national and international visibility of Paderborn University. The unit oversees and further develops the university-wide implementation of Corporate Design, provides templates (e.g. corporate letterhead) and advises on the design of university flyers and brochures.  The Marketing team is also responsible for the university Instagram account and the place to contact should you need roller banners or want to borrow the university exhibition stand for a conference or other marketing event.  Last but no least: The UPB online shop is run by the Marketing unit - feel free to take a look!

Press and communications

The Press and Communications Unit publishes press releases, research information and reports, brochures and flyers. The unit is also responsible for other PR work, including organising events, such as science days and open days, and managing various social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube). Further information on using social media can be found in the Intranet.  If you would like to publish an event in the university event calender, please contact the Press and Communications Unit.


Services from the Student Union

The Student Union offers a wide variety of hot and cold meals and beverages every day on campus in the “Mensa Academica”, “Mensa Forum”, “Restaurant Mensula”, “Caféte”, “One Way Snack” and “Grill/Café” dining facilities. On the Fürstenallee campus, you can enjoy food and beverages at the “Bistro HotSpot”

For information on opening hours, menus etc., please visit the Student Union’s website.

University sports programmes

All students and staff of Paderborn University, the Paderborn Catholic University of Applied Sciences and the Faculty of Theology, as well as employees of the Paderborn Student Union can participate in the university’s sports programmes. For information on the extensive range of options (over 100 different courses), registration procedures, costs etc., please contact the university’s sports department.

Uni shop

Paderborn University clothing, accessories and merchandise can be purchased in the uni shop.

The University for the Information Society