Sie haben Javascript deaktiviert!
Sie haben versucht eine Funktion zu nutzen, die nur mit Javascript möglich ist. Um sämtliche Funktionalitäten unserer Internetseite zu nutzen, aktivieren Sie bitte Javascript in Ihrem Browser.

A book reading in auditorium G Show image information
Demonstration during a lecture in the “Audimax” Show image information
Studying in the O building Show image information
The foyer with the Service Center Show image information

A book reading in auditorium G

Photo: Paderborn University, Adelheid Rutenburges

Demonstration during a lecture in the “Audimax”

Photo: Paderborn University, Adelheid Rutenburges

Studying in the O building

Photo: Paderborn University, Adelheid Rutenburges

The foyer with the Service Center

Costs and financing

There are no tuition fees at Paderborn University! Our University (like many other Higher Education Institutions in Germany) receives considerable financing from the government. The semester contribution of 290€ mainly covers the cost for the semester ticket which allows you to use different means of public transportation for free! Find out about the area of validity here. Moreover your student ID card provides a wide range of concessions: for bank accounts, sometimes telecommunication companies, but also for cinema and theatre tickets. Enjoy subsidized meals at our dining halls that start from 1,70€.

The following information shall give you a broad idea of the expenses of living and studying in Paderborn.

The regular costs of living (per month) for students range approximately within the following frame:

Rent250 Euro - 300 Euro
Health insuranceca. 80 Euro
Foodca. 200 Euro
Leisuremin. 80 Euro
Semester Fees
ca. 290 Euro per semester
Miscellaneous50 Euro - 100 Euro
800 - 900 Euro

When you first arrive in Paderborn, please make sure that you have enough cash to avoid any financial problems. During the first week, you will have to pay a deposit (normally about € 175), the first month’s rent (€ 250 - € 300), the semester ticket for public transport (~ € 290) and possibly the contribution to the health insurance. DSH course students will also have to pay the course fees of 550 Euro (as of July 2017) before the course starts.

Opening a bank account in Germany

We strongly recommend to open a bank account at a local bank. This will help you to handle all your financial issues as the most important payments like rent, health insurance or phone costs are carried out via bank transfer.

The “Sparkasse Paderborn” offers a cash machine as well as printer for statements of account in the Mensa building of the university. This enables you to carry out your money transactions on campus.

Financial support

Information about scholarships and grants can be obtained at the German Embassies, branches of the Goethe Institute and the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).  The DAAD offers a variety of scholarship programs for international students, academics and scientists from all countries.

You can search the DAAD's online database at

Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (DAAD)
Kennedyallee 50
53275 Bonn

If your application for a scholarship requires an informal confirmation by the International Office that you fulfill the requirements for the degree program of your choice, please submit your inquiry in time: Processing takes ca. 4 weeks. To process your inquiry, we need a copy of your previous degree and a complete transcript of records of all study years.

The University for the Information Society