Support for Teaching Abroad
Stays for teaching abroad purposes can be funded via the Erasmus+ program. Information on teaching abroad at a university outside the Erasmus+ area can be found in the section Mobility with Partner Countries - International Credit Mobility. In the following you will only find information on teaching stays within the Erasmus+ area in the Erasmus+ program countries.
ERASMUS+ mobility for teaching staff (STA)
Please note our Q&A regarding Covid-19
You want to teach a block seminar at Istanbul University? Or maybe do some team teaching with a colleague from Madrid? How about inviting a French NGO representative to teach at Paderborn University?
Erasmus+ makes all of this possible and also funds short stays abroad for guest lecturers. As a guest lecturer your stay abroad contributes to strengthening the European dimension of the host university, broadens the course content and enables you to share your experiences with colleagues in teaching and research (STA1). It is also possible to invite members of staff from companies in the ERASMUS programme countries to come and teach at Paderborn (STA2).
- Who can apply and conditions of participation:
Teaching and academic staff at Paderborn University (STA1), who have an employment contract with UPB.
When inviting company staff (STA2): Employees of a public organisation or a company under private law in an ERASMUS programme country
- A valid Erasmus+ cooperation agreement for STA with a partner university
- Duration of teaching assignment: two - 60 days (not including travel days)
- Scope of teaching assignment: at least eight teaching hours over one week (seven days) or a shorter time period. For trips lasting more than one week (seven days), at least 1.6 hours per day for every additional day
Funding in 2019/20
- Funds are allocated on a first come, first served basis
- Erasmus+ funds are very limited. In order for us to plan the allocation of funds more efficiently, please submit your application for Erasmus+ funding by the end of November of each academic year. As a general rule, funding applications should be submitted no later than six weeks before the mobility is scheduled to begin.
- Full funding (daily allowance) for up to six days, including travel days (longer trips will receive the same funding amount as a six-day trip).
The daily allowance is aligned with the living expenses in the various destination countries.
- Daily allowance rates
- Travel cost reimbursement
The travel cost reimbursement amount depends on the distance between the point of departure and the final destination. Within Europe the distance is calculated using this calculation tool.
The reimbursement rates are as followed:
- 0 km - 99 km (simple distance): EUR 20
- 100 km - 499 km (simple distance): EUR 180
- 500 km - 1,999 km (simple distance): EUR 275
2,000 km - 2,999 km (simple distance): EUR 360
Special funding for teaching staff with severe disabilities
On application, you will receive the additional financial requirement of up to 10,000 € in addition to the regular Erasmus+ funding. An individual estimate will be made of the additional costs that are expected to arise during Erasmus+ mobility or in the host country and that will not be covered by other funding institutions. These include, for example, additional costs for barrier-free accommodation, travel assistance, medical care abroad, adaptation of learning materials or an accompanying person.
- Funding Conditions
- Documents to be submitted
This type of special support requires a detailed application for special support. You can obtain the application documents from the International Office. The detailed application must be submitted to the DAAD at least 2 months before the start of the stay abroad.
Copy of Disability Pass
Rejection of other funding institutions (integration offices, health insurance, landscape associations, social services, student services)
After the stay abroad: proof of the costs arisen (plane tickets, rental contracts, work contracts with support staff, proof of payments etc).
Beratung im International Office
Erasmus zu Lehr-, Fort- und Weiterbildungszwecken (STA/STT)
Tel: (+49) 5251 60 3209, Raum: I4.213
Beratung nach Vereinbarung