Transition to Bachelor and Master Programs

You are participating the the intermediate or advanced preparatory DSH course? Then plan your Study program now!

You have to actively apply at the International Office in order to get an admission to your study programme while you are still in the DSH course!

Here we explain the necessary steps.

Application to studies after the DSH course and deadlines

In order to register for a study program, you must notify the International Office of your desired course of study. Please submit the form "Aufnahme des Fachstudiums" if you are in the intermediate or advanced level of the DSH course.

Submission Deadlines:

Deadline for the winter semester: 31.05.

Deadline for the summer semester: 15.01.

  • EU citizens who apply for a subject with restricted admission (also for Bachelor Teaching Programs with restricted admission ("UNI-NC" in the range of courses)) must also apply online to the Registrar`s Office

Exception: If you are a German citizen, please apply online to the Registrar's Office



The complete range of courses offered by the University of Paderborn can be found here:

Not all courses start in the summer semester.

"Uni-NC" means that there are admission restrictions. There is a certain number of places available, some of which are allocated to international students in the order of their secondary school leaving grades. Admission is therefore not guaranteed!

If you click on the study program, you will always see the same structure behind it, you can look for example for counselling opportunities and see the corresponding admission requirements ("Zugangsvoraussetzungen"). Please read them carefully!

Aptitude tests for the coming semester:

We conduct the admission procedures for the summer semester in January / February and for the winter semester in July / August

  • Enrollment periods:

Summer semester: in March

Winter semester: in September

(the exact dates are sent to you in the notification of admission)

  •  Overview of the lecture periods
  • Orientation events: in the week before the expected start of lectures

If you are applying for a subject you have already studied in your home country, it may be possible to get credits and admission (start with a higher semester). If this applies, please contact the International Office as early as possible but until 15.01. / 31.05. at the latest.

Significant proof of former studies is always required. In addition to the overview of taken subjects and grades, you will need to hand in descriptions of the modules and program in German or English. You can also provide a link to the corresponding page of your former university.

Please submit only after you received the admission letter!

    The documents you need to submit when you register at the International Office are listed in the letter of admission letter that we send to you.

    In any case, you must submit the following for enrollment:

    Please note: The semester documents will be sent to you by mail.

Application and crediting process for Master's Programs

You would like to take a Master's Program at the University of Paderborn after passing the DSH? Then your previous Bachelor's degree programme will have to be checked for equivalence.


For admission to a Master's degree program, the Bachelor's degree program is evaluated for equivalence. For this purpose, documents of your studies completed in your home country are required:

  • academic transcripts 
  • Units completed (work load)
  • Credits
  • Information on duration of one semester
  • Semester hours per week
  • if possible, course descriptions and module plans

For some Master's programs, additional documents are required or admission requirements are defined. Please inform yourself in time.

FAQ zum Übergang in das Fachstudium

- Yes. The admission you received for the DSH course is only valid for the DSH course. For admission to a study program, you must register your desired course of study at the International Office as described above.


- Yes! You must meet the application deadlines for the respective semester (31.05. --> winter semester // 15.01.--> summer semester). Otherwise a neatless transition from the DSH course of studies is not possible.

If you do not pass the DSH exam, you can repeat the course and then apply again.

- Yes! Admissions are reissued each semester. You cannot reuse an old notice of admission.



Yes! Please submitt the documents for entrollment in time. The deadline is communicated with the letter of admission.

If you submit the documents for enrollment only after the exam, it is too late to enrol in time. It takes 2-3 weeks to process them. If you do not pass the exam, you will be refunded the fee upon request.




Application form "Aufnahme des Fachstudiums im Sommersemester 2024" for participants of DSH-Course of Paderborn University

Instructions how to produce the form "Erwartungscheck" (Expectation Check - in German) (mandatory for some bachelor's degree programs).